I choose Android

MP3iTunes

mytouch.jpg

I’ve finally chosen a new phone. I picked the T-Mobile myTouch, an Android device, over Apple’s iPhone.

The actual device was less a factor for me than cost of the plan and quality of the network. The iPhone is clearly a more advanced creature (although the myTouch is good enough for me). T-Mobile’s data plan is cheaper. In fact, thanks to a customer loyalty program (I’ve been withT-Mobile for a few years) I was able to get unlimited minutes, unlimited data, and 400 text messages per month for about $75.

The T-Mobile network, while not always perfect, has been generally reliable. All the stories about dropped calls and 3G outages on the iPhone with AT&T scared me away.

12 Responses to “I choose Android”

1. Peter says:

Please let us know what you think of your new phone after a couple weeks. I appreciate that you shared your buying experience since it seems we lose a lot of time with everybody trying to figure it out on our own.

2. Erik says:

Congratulations. I’m sure going a little “against the grain” should make for some interesting reports in the future. I’ll be eager to hear about the continued innovations on the Android platform.

3. ryaninmpls says:

I know you don’t spend all your time in the Twin Cities… but I haven’t experienced much in the way of 3G dropout for data – when it has happened I’ve had a wifi connection available and SMS never gave out and neither did basic phone service. And Edge never gave up.

That said, there’s a troubling thing coming up in the eastern Metro here that plagues my 3.1b3 iPhone called “AT&T M-Cell 3G” wherein I do not get ANY 3G services… no text, no net, GPS works half as well as it did on the north shore a month ago with no service, etc.

M-Cell, or Microcell, is supposed to “boost” signal to those in a home (not on the interstate like I have been) for up to 5 3G users (using my flaky memory here so I may be wrong about any/all of this).

::steps off soapbox::

Peter: Good point about all of us going through these tech buying decisions along. We need some kind of hive mind approach 😉

Will post impressions of myTouch somehwere. Posterous, Twitter, etc.

-Jon

Erik,

Going against the grain has some appeal. But mostly my decision was based on cost of the plan and perceived network quality.

I think Android has a bright future. We shall see. I’ve been tragically wrong before.

-Jon

ryaninmpls:

Many people tell me they have no problems with the iPhone on AT&T. I hear more bad stuff about the network in the San Francisco Bay Area than the Twin Cities. I wanted to make sure I had a strong network in both places and T-Mo has been pretty good for me over the last few years.

I was basically scared off of AT&T by the horror stories. I know my experience my have been just fine but it seemed like an unnecessary risk.

-Jon

7. Paul says:

Some of your listeners DO care what you chose!

And we are interested in how your experience develops over days, weeks, and months. Most especially since its a bit “against the grain”

8. Ras says:

I currently own both phones. I’m typing this as we speak on the myTouch. I love both phones for different reasons. As a Google Voice user I don’t think I’ll be able to drop the myTouch. I wish I could smash both phones together. It would be the ultimate. My main gripe with the myTouch is the on screen keyboard. It’s not nearly as refined as the iphone.

RAS: Why do you own both phones? Also, agree with you on the keyboard. I’m using a replacement keboard called “Better Keyboard” which is maybe a slight improvement. I’m hoping software updates will improve the included keyboard down the road …

Jon

10. Dave says:

A prominent blog about Apple, daringfireball.net, made an interesting post about an iPhone user who decided to try out an Android phone for a month. I don’t know if it will change your mind, but it sure is interesting.

11. Ezra says:

Jon,

I was in the exact same place as you were. I had been with t mobile for 7 years, I had a blackberry I was on their unlimited plan etc. I went with an iPhone, after agonizing for a few weeks. It came down mostly to coverage. There are a lot of places I frequent that have 0 bars on t mobile’s network. Also I felt like the myTouch wasn’t enough device for me. I felt like I might have stayed with t mobile if they had released the HTC Hero instead. Anyway it was interesting to hear someone else make a lot of the same arguments and wind up with a different descision.

So what did you end up with, an iPhone?