Should you buy an iPad?

1. Listen Featured Audio

Download MP3iTunes

A little something called the iPad debuts tomorrow. Is it for you?

Guests: Patrick Rhone, Minimal Mac; Molly Wood, CNET

7 Responses to “Should you buy an iPad?”

1. william malo says:

I would buy an ipad if I didn’t need to use corel draw for work.

since its against my principle to have two computers I will stick to my macbook

2. Richard Prince says:

This story, obviously, was spun to enforce the stereotype of the Apple Fanboy (Patrick Rhone) and the PC-loyalist doubter (Molly Wood) who will be waiting for a “improved” version using Android or some miraculous new version of Windows Mobile or Google Android. These are easy oppositional dichotomies that fulfill narrow and polar views of our culture – whether it be technology or politics.

It also an attempt to keep the discourse in the realm of the purely emotional. Are you going to get an iPad? Yes/No! are you unhappy because it doesn’t have Flash? Yes/No! When the answer to these questions are far more gray than black and white.

I’m sorry you saw it that way. It was not an obvious attempt to spin it like you said. Maybe it came off that way to you. But in a segment like this there are more mundane realities at work, such as, given time and personnel restraints, who can I get to talk to me? Of the people I talked to, which phone lines sounded good enough to use on the air? I’ll certainly accept your criticism that the piece sounded too binary. Fair enough. How it ended up that way, however, is not a conscious choice to spin it in that direction. Rhone and Wood are smart people with relevant experience, and are good talkers, and I found them on clean phone lines. That’s why you heard from them. Should I have found someone else in the middle? Yep, that would have made the segment better.

4. Richard Prince says:

Yes, you should talked to and used comments by people who had a more nuanced view. People who could talk about how it might be used in academics or publishing and if it impacts their professions. Reporters often head out into the field with this idea that, for instance, we going to do a story about inner-city jobs programs for kids, so they want to find some ethnic gang-bangers who are working at cleaning up the parks because that has a dramatic arch. With this story, you obviously wanted to find a Apple Fanboy and a reluctant PC Fangirl because those oppositional stances create drama but also some shallow notion of “balance”? Everywhere you look in media today, people rush to the confrontational – whether it be the Teabaggers screaming “tyranny and socialism” or trying to find the fanboys and the naysayers because it is cheap entertainment cloaked as news or public and culural affairs.

5. Richard Prince says:

There is also a certain approach in asking questions about a subject that pre-determines or sets the conditions for an answer. For example, if you look all around you’ll see people raising the issues of Flash on the iPad or if it is lacking ports, camera or USB. These are the stereotypical “fault lines” that tech reporters and dying or itching to ask. Frankly, for most users they could care less about digital format or standards – they are seeking a continuously pleasing user experience. And, it doesn’t take long to see that Netflix, YouTube and all these major companies (including Adobe itself) are rushing to provide content that more than substitutes and makes up for the lack of Flash on the Apple iPad. But it cannot be avoided nor can the “OMG, it doesn’t have a camera!” and then that becomes a sort of self-fulfilling mantra across every news reporting outlet. It’s dull. It’s unimaginative. We expect more from NPR, the BBC, or the CBC.

Richard,

Honestly, I did not set out to find an “Apple Fanboy” and “reluctant PC Fangirl” for this segment. You’re the one placing people in rigid camps, not me. Neither of the two I talked with are as you describe them to be. Not even close.

Also, to dismiss the iPad’s faults as nothing but the whining of tech reporters does a disservice to all the people who wish it did Flash, had USB ports and a camera for videoconferencing, and was an open system.

What would be dull and unimaginative is if tech journalists/bloggers just gave Apple a pass on everything, out of some strange cult-like devotion that some people have for Cupertino.

7. drew says:

well people say it does not have this or that well of course if that put every thing on the first one what will they put on #2 #3 well if that make a third ipad think about that well i do and im only 11